Sunday, September 14, 2008

Holiday's Over or What I Did Over Summer Vacation

Two weeks off from work went by quite quickly. I feel like I spent a lot of time in airports (of which the Singapore airport is officially my favorite airport ever) but it was a nice trip to Seoul, Singapore and Bangkok. Didn't do much running and frankly my training schedule is off, but did do a lot of walking -- granted to various food places. 

The food in Singapore and Bangkok was great! Stephanie's friend Adrian took us Americans to a great Malaysian hole in the wall restaurant. The food was cheap, spicy and YUMMY! We basically went up to the counter and pointed out things you wanted to try -- typically you could get about 3 or 4 of the dishes that the people would put on a plate of rice -- curries, stir-fires, fish balls, this really spicy tofu and potato dish that I ordered because it didn't look spicy. Lesson: looks can be deceiving.  I also tried chicken rice which is apparently famous in Singapore -- rice cooked in chicken broth and served with cooked chicken and some greens. And a trip to Singapore would not be complete if I didn't go to the Hawker market -- I went to Maxwell Road Hawker market in Chinatown where steamed buns, curry rice, chicken rice, sugar cane juice and other tasty treats awaited. 

I just wish the camera battery had not died, otherwise you'd see all the things I ate -- perhaps this is actually a good thing.

The one thing that I didn't get to try was Mister Donut's Tofu donut in Seoul. We walked past the sign on our way to dinner. I had hoped to go back and try it for dessert but that didn't work out. Later I tried to find the shop again but was unsuccessful. Next time!

I did check out Singapore's Asian Civilisations museum. In the China exhibit there different words or theme highlighted -- one of which is filial piety. I got a kick out of it because -- let's face it -- I tend to follow the opposite!

No comments: