Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Arugula, Kale and Chard, Oh My!

The Farmer's Market has had a lot of greens these last couple of weeks. I bought and used Arugula for the first time. I made salads with shaved parm cheese or chevere, cooked it up like stir-fry. I made a gratin out of the chard and also used it as a filling in a quiche, where I also made the piecrust! Lastly, the kale was used in a Mushroom, Barley and Kale soup recipe that I saw in the NYTs.

This has been very good for me overall. I've enjoyed using foods that I have never really eaten before, let alone cooked before. I'm trying to use and cook food that I only buy at the Farmer's market. So, to that end, I've bought some yeast and this weekend will try my hand at baking bread again.
I'm wondering if I should try joining a CSA -- it is kind of like the organic veggie box I use to get working at KQED -- except back then, I wasn't as adventurous food-wise, as I am now.

No comments: