Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Farmer's Market Carrots and Beets

In early June, I went to the farmer's market and bought a bunch of carrots. As usual, I let it sit in the frig a bit too long, so I decided to try my hand at a carrot soup. I looked at a bunch of recipes, but the one that caught my eye was from Nigel Slater. He doesn't like the sweetness of carrot soup, and I tend to agree with him. He adds tomato to the soup. So I cooked some onions, carrots and tomato in vegetable stock and put it through the food mill. I love my food mill! The taste was interesting in a good way, but I don't think I had the proportion right. It definitely tempered the sweetness of the carrots, but I think I may have put in too much tomato.



The other item I picked up during my trip to the U Street Farmer's Market was beets. I've cooked beets before, but this time I used all the beets -- including the greens! I added some of the wilted down greens, cooked diced golden beets, a nice spoonful of ricotta to some pasta. The leftover greens and beets made a nice side salad in and of itself. Beets are on my buy list the next time I'm at the market!

No comments: