Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gardening On An Hour of Sleep

When I left work this morning, the sun was just beginning to come out. You know, when the sky gets this gray-blue color, clouds are dark, and if it's going to be a beautiful day streaks of pink and red stretch across the sky. Anyway, after a 12.5 hour shift, I wasn't thinking about going to sleep. I was thinking about how to stay up until I had to be back at work two and a half hours later. I was thinking of going on a run. Thinking is the key word. The humid weather and my 30 minute walk home pretty much killed any idea I had of running. Instead I indulged in the power nap. I woke up, put on my outdoor work outfit, and headed back to work, not to the office, but the garden on the grounds. I spent an hour and a half weeding, moving vines so that they'd be trained to spread inward (which I didn't think you could do) and not over the aisles, and picking ripe veg. It reminded me of my grandfather's garden. It was really my Dad and Grandfather's garden in our backyard. There is this picture of me and my next door neighbor KvZ when we were like 5 and 4 or 6 and 5 holding zucchini from the garden and it was literally half the size of us (well, KvZ). I miss that garden -- granted I didn't appreciate at the time, like so many other things, but I remember the squash, lettuce and peppers that grew there and that I did in fact eat. The garden at work had a lot of herbs and veg: squash, okra, onions (which actually sit right on top of the soil, which surprised me) and even corn! It was a fun reason to get only an hour of sleep. (I didn't go home and go to sleep after. I've been up all day, and plan to sleep very well!)

No comments: