Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Art: Video Games and Music Videos

When I was in Washington, DC, recently, I went to one of my favorite places - the National Portrait Gallery. It shares space with the Smithsonian American Art Museum, which was having an exhibit on Video Games. I had to go and see it.

According the the exhibit information, video games really reflect art in many different mediums - visual, story telling, musically, etc. So this exhibit explores "the forty-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects and the creative use of new technologies."

For me it was a walk down memory lane. I remember my cousins who had Ataris or Intellivision or the first Nintendo. I had the Commodore 64 (and I'm pretty sure it's in the basement of my parent's house somewhere) , but I didn't use it for video games. My Dad got it for me in the hopes that I'd become some computer programmer-type. He had good vision, too bad he was stuck with a non-techie daughter!

What made this exhibit truly enjoyable was that they had stations in the beginning where you could play the games -- from Pac-Man and Super Mario Brothers to Myst and some game I'd never heard of called Flower. I played Pac-Man and managed to get all the dots! Some skills apparently never go away.

Here are some pics from the early years of the video game art.




Created with flickr slideshow.

In another art related, memory lane exhibit, when I was in Cincinnati I visited the Contemporary Art Museum. I went in an hour before it was going to close so the guy at the front desk let me in for free. They had an exhibit titled "Spectacle: The Music Video," which was all about the art of music videos.


It was great. They had a lot of music videos you could watch, such as A-Ha's "Take On Me" to Queens' Bohemian Rhapsody.

I actually spent time at a lot of exhibits watching videos, remembering back to when MTV actually played music videos.

The exhibit explained how it was created, why it was different or cutting edge at the time.  It also showed some controversial videos which represented pushing boundaries. And in a more recent art phenomenon, talked about how videos can go viral with other people doing their interpretation of songs or videos, like all the different videos of Beyonce's  "All the Single Ladies."

It was pretty awesome!

No comments: