Friday, April 3, 2009

Tomato and Mozzarella Tart

So, as part of my year of vegetarianism, I've been hunting for good, simple and tasty recipes to try. Today I made a Tart from a Cook's Illustrated recipe. It was nice. The crust was buttery, but not a soggy mess and drawing the water out of the tomatoes helped keep the crust firm. It called for puff pastry for the base of the tart and was probably better than any tart dough I could have made. I had to cook the base first and then I let it cool. Prepping the tomatoes was easy -- core them and slice them about 1/4in thick, place them on paper towels or a clean cloth and sprinkle with some salt and cover with paper towels/another cloth. Let it sit for about 20-30 mins. Also, mince some garlic (2 large cloves) and olive oil (2 Tablespoons) add a little salt and pepper and put to the side. After the puff pastry base has cooled, sprinkle mozzarella cheese in an even layer on the bottom. Top the cheese with the tomatoes and then lightly spoon the oil mixture over the tomatoes and put it back in the oven for 15 mins. When it's ready take it out and sprinkle with fresh basil (and I also added some parsley).

It was yummy and surprisingly light (and I have leftovers to take to work for lunch). The only thing I would change is adding some red pepper flake to the oil to give the meal a little kick.

No comments: