Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Farmer's Market Meals

This weekend I managed to make it to the U Street Farmer's market. I picked up beets, squash, asparagus, blueberries, peaches, cherries, tomatoes, shallots and two types of cheese - a gouda-type cheese and a soft chevre type cheese. Since I'm still going through a sandwich phase, I took out my half loaf of farmer's market wheat bread and cut off two slices. I chopped out a shallot and sauteed it and asparagus in butter. I then spread some of the chevre cheese on the wheat slices, put on some tomato slices and put that in the skillet. Added the onions and asparagus and voila!



I tried the beet pasta again last night. The beets were boiled in some water. The beet greens were chopped and sauteed in some olive oil. I also added some shallots and mushrooms. I added the whole wheat pasta to the boiled beet water, which turned the pasta this magenta pink color -- it was definitely eye popping. (Of course, I don't have pictures of it). Drained the pasta and beets, added it to the greens mixture, topped it with some olive oil and then topped it with a lot of parmesan cheese. But tonight, after my work out which involved a short 30 minute bike and then a 4 mile run, I opted for a light dinner: cereal topped with blueberries!

No comments: