Monday, July 20, 2009

I (Heart) New York Pt. 2

I was in NYC this weekend. I ran the Central Park Conservancy Run for Central Park with cousins, including their 2 year old son! The kids' race was really cute. The adult race was four miles. I did it in 39:18 and averaged a 9:49 mile, which for me was really good. I hate hilly courses and yet I still seem to do really well on them. Go figure. Anyway, after the race I walked around NYC with MP. We were headed to Koreatown because I was craving Korean food. Along the way, on 9th Avenue we passed by a small farmer's market. I had an apricot, one that had not been dried, for the first time. And it was good! The Farmer's Market maven used some of the ingredients that were fresh that day -- peaches, red onion, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes -- and made a peach salsa.



I also saw a tree sticking out of the terrace of a highrise. This is one of the things I love about Manhattan -- tress pop up in the most unusual places.



About 20 blocks later we made it to Chinatown. First, we went to Pocha 32. But it wasn't open for lunch -- it's apparently a 5pm-3am place. So we went a couple of doors down to BCD Tofu House. We split a pa jun (a seafood pancake -- which they had listed as a pizza, and frankly, that's soooooooo wrong. It was very good -- crisp on the outside and mushy (in a good way) on the inside! And the ban chan could have been a meal in and of itself!


But don't worry, I had room for a great kimchee chi-gae with tofu. MP and I then crossed the street so I could buy some kim-bap for my bus ride to DC. Kim-bap is Korea's version of a sushi roll except the meat is cooked. I got the veggie kim-bap though. Finally we started the almost 30 block trek back to Columbus Circle. We stopped at Bryant Park for a drink. They had this little eating area set up with Adirondack chairs and bench swings. It was really nice. All in all, a great NYC day! Thanks MP for the pictures.

No comments: