Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Threadless Cake: The End

After running around, exchanging cake racks, looking for a cake box (the Whole Foods baker just gave me one), getting green icing and checking out some apartments, I finally finished the cake. But only after I had some dinner. All that running around made me tired. I got some take out -- a lobster roll and fries. It's such an outdoorsy meal that I grabbed a book and took my boxed dinner to the roof deck and ate outside. It was nice. Now onto the cake.

First off, I frosted the tree cookies. Then I made whipped cream and used that as the filling with some strawberries.




Then I made some vanilla buttercream frosting. I've never made a buttercream frosting that I like and tonight was no exception. It came out a little too sweet for my taste and that was using half of the powdered frosting that the recipe required. I'm going to have to play around with that still. But I put on my crumb coat and then stuck the cake in the frig to set.



Then I made my woodsman figure. I made him bigger than he should be but since this was my first time working with gum paste and, well, my first time making a figure. I'm happy with the way it turned out.





I frosted the rest of the cake. Then I made the face for the day of reckoning tree, laid out the tress and placed the man and his ax down. Here's the finished product!


No comments: