Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Burrito Cart Heaven

I'm still going through a street food-phase. DC doesn't have the plethora of choices found in other cities, but one day, I was downtown around lunch-time and I saw the line for Pedro and Vinny's burrito cart which is actually run by John. I had first seen this cart on my morning walks to the Metro -- he was setting up -- it could be as early as 6 am and the cart would be there. In case you're wondering, it's never there on my walk home. I stood on line for a good 25 mins and it was worth it. I was told that the burrito is really a vehicle for the hot sauce. I think it's a tasty, spicy work of art. So when you're a few people out, you tell him what type of tortilla you want and if you want cheese. As you get even closer you can see the bottles and bottles of hot sauces or just sauces that can go on your burrito. The cart offers black beans, pinto beans, or the black and tan (a combo of black beans and pinto beans). I get the black and tan. Then you can get home-made salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Then comes your sauce choice: fruity vs. non fruity and the spicy scale with 1 being bland and 10 the spiciest you can get. I tend to go non-fruity and 7. Here is the result!



If I worked downtown, I'd be there at least once a week. It's probably a good thing I don't work downtown. I really would have to run every day.

No comments: