Monday, May 25, 2009

Bike Rides and Pie Crusts

In preperation for the Black Bear Tri, I've actually started biking outside. I did two rides this weekend -- granted they were fairly flat, but it was still better than nothing. One involved doing loops of Haines Points -- which is not as scenic since they moved The Awakening and the other was the Mount Vernon Trail (which I rode with SM and KM). I still don't enjoy the biking portion of the tri, but I think I'm getting better at shifting gears and not getting as tired out going uphill. We meant to go all the way to Mt. Vernon (which would have been nice since I've not been) but we lost the trail in Old Town. I had read it was tricky, and I don't think having this handy map would have helped. But on our way back to Theodore Roosevelt Island (which was our starting point) we stopped in Old Town for a snack and watched a guy playing glasses. (Yes, crystal glasses filled with different amounts of water to effect tones). It was really fun -- especially watching him "tune" the glasses by pouring increasing amounts of water into the glass until it hit the right tone. We also got to ride under a plane as it approached the landing strip at National Airport!

So, to celebrate all the biking, I bought two whoopie pies from Whole Foods --they were yummy!!! I really want to try making them. On Sunday, I did a 4 mile, hilly run which ended at the Dupont Circle farmers market. I picked up some ricotta cheese, eggs, and first-pick squash. All of these went into a quiche tart that I made for dinner. It was quite good, if I do say so myself!

No comments: