Friday, May 1, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Cake

A couple of weeks ago I went to a healthy cooking class at Williams-Sonoma. A cookbook was passed around -- one that had a recipe for a Blueberry Walnut Crumb cake and I have not been able to get this out of my head. After search the wed, I found a Barefoot Contessa recipe for Blueberry Crumb cake and tested it out on my co-workers. It was fairly straightforward. First, I made the streusel topping: brown sugar, regular sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour mixed together and set aside. Then came the cake. Now that the stand mixer is in NJ, I had to cream the butter and sugar by hand. It took a bit longer, but I think the result was pretty good. I added vanilla, two eggs, and sour cream into the sugar. Then came the four, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and lemon zest. It was mixed until it all came together and then I folded in about a 1.5 cups of fresh blueberries. I put the batter in a buttered cake pan and topped it with the streusel topping, and lastly baked it for 50 minutes. I have never been a fan of baked fruit dishes.

A blueberry cake I had on my hiking trip in Alaska changed my mind, at least about baked blueberry cake-like dishes. This cake was moist and sweet, but not too sweet. Another recipe I found called for buttermilk instead of sour cream. I think I'm going to try that recipe next.

No comments: