Sunday, May 3, 2009

Potomac River Run

This morning I ran the Potomac River Run Half Marathon with SM and JM. It was a fun run despite the weather -- rainy -- primarily because of the great river views. The course was a foot/bike path right along the river south of Old Town, VA and almost hitting Mt. Vernon. It was a small field and I think it made it all the better. The water stations were nicely spaced apart. I finished in about 2:23 and change. The timing chip recorder broke (we think because of the rain). It was a good time for me considering how hilly the course was. I still don't think it's as bad as Central Park, but they were gently rolling 20 to 30 foot rises and falls. I signed up for the NYC Half and a Mini 10k in NYC, as well. There's a 10k here in DC that also sounds like it would be a fun race to run. But the next up for me is the Black Bear Tri. So, I think it's time for me to focus more on biking and swimming for the next couple of weeks. But I did give myself a post-race treat -- Ciao Bella's Maple Ginger Snap gelato!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lynn,

I also ran the ha;f marathon yesterday morning. I think you were part of the early group of runners because what happened was not a timing problem. The Park Police effectively canceled the race since the organizers registered 1,000 runners and the permit called only for 300. They don't normally enforce this rule so it came as a shock to us runners and the organizers. At the starting line at 6:30, we were pissed and came close to displaying a mob mentality. But we all ended up running without our bibs and timing ourselves. Whether these times will be considered "official" still remains to be seen.

Congrats, though, and I hope you got your medal!