Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Blue Duck Tavern

It turns out my need to clean out the pantry was canceled. My work trip did not pan through, so I've been scrounging for food and also going out to eat. One restaurant that has been on my list for awhile is Blue Duck Tavern. Apparently, Bono ate there when he was in DC. I heard of it as farm to table place -- the menu lists where your food came from. My friend AL had heard that it was a place that did slow roasting meats, home cooking very well. Given my Year of the Veggie, AL's description wasn't a good sign for me. When I first got there, I noticed that there was an herb garden in a small patch of ground by near the door. The hostess said the chefs get there herbs from it. I thought that was cool. The service at the restaurant was great. The waiters were ready with suggestions. I started with a pea soup with a cuttlefish ravioli (from Path Valley, PA).

It was nice and light. The ravioli was really difficult to eat though.

For my main course I had the Kohlrabi Gratin (Path Valley) and Warm Swiss Chard, Pinenut and Raisin pie (also Pathy Valley).

My waiter was very keen on the Gratin, unfortunately, I was not a fan. I thought it was bland and could have used a lot of salt -- but there was none on the table. The pie on the other hand was great. Nice difference in textures and a good mix of the savory and sweet. When the manager came by and asked if I liked it -- I hesitated and apparently that was enough to get the gratin off the bill. I actually felt bad about that. I mean I didn't like it, but I did eat most of it. I don't know if I'll go back during my year of the veg. There really isn't a lot of veggie choices aside from a pot pie. I look forward to trying it again when I'm eating meat!

No comments: